Hello readers! We had a great day out yesterday for our historic walk in Wooroloo.

Latitude 31° 48′ S Longitude 116° 19′ E

The townsite of Wooroloo is located in the Darling Range 60 km east north east of Perth and 26 km north east of Mundaring. Land was first set aside for a future townsite in this area in 1841, and was referred to as Worriloo, but the land was never used for a townsite. The area was first settled by the Byfield brothers in the 1870’s and in 1893 a railway stopping place named Byfield’s Mill was opened to service the sawmilling industry in the area. A school was established in 1896, and named Wooroloo, and in 1897 the railway station was renamed Wooroloo. Following the establishment of other community facilities in the area, and the opening of the Wooroloo Sanatorium in 1912, the government surveyed blocks and gazetted the townsite of Wooroloo in 1913.

Wooroloo derives its name from the nearby Wooroloo Brook, first discovered by explorers in 1830. The brook was at first recorded as the “Gatta” and then the “Goodmich River”, although some pools in were referred to as “Worrilow” in 1834. The current spelling was used from around 1896.

Walkers enjoying morning tea after their walk
Still enjoying morning tea while given some more local information by Vice President Jenny Johnson
Chatting about their walk
Loads of information files were placed on the trestle tables. Staff and volunteers milling around to top up the information.