It has come to our attention that the Mundaring Scouts are holding their centenary this year. We have found a lot of information about the group and some of this information refers to Rev. Stratton, who started the Lion Mill troop in 1906. Newspapers of the time refer to Rev Stratton starting a Mundaring contingent around 1913, but it is believed the official registration date for the Mundaring troop was in 1918.

Some sources say that another Scout Troop was formed with students from the Mundaring School. Neither the Historical Society or the Scout Heritage Association can find any evidence of this.

Is there anybody out there that knows of a troop was which formed by students of the Mundaring School, possibly in the early 1900’s?

Watch this space for notification of the celebration of the centenary!


Nobody likes meetings, and the Historical Society is no different, however, we do have really interesting speakers and a pretty decent afternoon tea.

So for those of you that are interested in hearing about the Watheroo Observatory, please come along to our AGM on Saturday the 18 August.

Meeting to be held at the Mundaring District Museum, The Old School and Visitor Centre, located in the carpark of the Mundaring Shopping Centre.

Meeting starts at 3pm followed by a talk by Dr Fiona Bush and afternoon tea.